Salisbury Canoe Club would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Dartmoor weekend 26th/27th Nov  (Read 5890 times)

Offline ChrisG

• Advanced
    • View Profile
Dartmoor weekend 26th/27th Nov
« on: November 06, 2016, 03:55:57 AM »
Next Dartmoor trip is planned for the end of November 26th-27th. Hoping to make it a weekend so will aim to find a bunkhouse or similar for Saturday night. Rivers and grades will be tailored for thise attending but you should have some experience of paddling moving water and have access to some winter paddling gear!
The trip of course will be dependent on water levels so keep your fingers crossed for some rain on the moor between now and then!!
Please register interest by replying to this event, responding on the forum or by emailing [email protected]

Offline Mark C

• Advanced
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dartmoor weekend 26th/27th Nov
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 09:56:30 AM »
Sorry Chris, I am not able to make this..... again. This is killing me  :(

Offline rhancock

• New Paddler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 03:01:02 PM »
Chris I am interested in going on the dartmoor trip. Is it going ahead? cheers Richard

Offline ChrisG

• Advanced
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 11:54:07 AM »
Hi Richard,

I think we might do something, but very much depends on the levels and rain! I'm not sure about committing a whole weekend at the moment given the amount of water that might be around! Keep an eye one this thread and the Facebook group for updates.

Offline NigelSharpe

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »
The levels on the Dart Loop were fantastic today - ledge half covered and a falling.

I was on Dartmoor for work earlier in the week, and the peat now feels topped up, so hopefully river levels will hold a bit longer.

If you come down next weekend, would you mind if I gatecrash a day's paddling?

Offline richard

• Advanced
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 01:30:01 AM »
I will probably be about for the weekend as Scotland was cancelled.

Offline ChrisG

• Advanced
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 01:04:47 PM »
Ahh excellent, should have read this before posting the following on the Facebook page:

Dartmoor trip this weekend:

So there's water around in the South West at the moment, whether it will still be there at the weekend is another question but hopefully there will be something to paddle!

I'm proposing that we do this on Saturday to give ourselves the best chance of having water. The following have expressed an interest in the paddle:

William Everitt,
Tom Askew-Miller,
Chris Green,
Sam Green,
Helen Green (possibly),
Richard Hancock
(Henry George were you interested too?),
Pete A
Kev C.
Now looks like we have Rich S too (why was Scotland cancelled?)

Can you please confirm if you are still interested and if anyone else is too then can you let me know. Nigel Sharpe if you fancy joining us you'd be very welcome - although I don't think it will be big volume water. (You can try harder to persuade me to go on the Nepal trip next year!)

Suggest that for those needing to borrow kit, we meet at the club at 6.30 am to sort this out then travel down to a breakfast rendezvous somewhere in the South West before a paddle (TBC once we have decided which river). Will also need another volunteer driver or two please (I'm happy to drive one car).

All provisional at the moment and may change if weather/water changes, keep an eye on here for further details!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:40:36 AM by ChrisG »

Offline richard

• Advanced
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 02:15:10 AM »
Yes I am still interested. Scotland cancelled due to not enough people interested (only me) and the same with plas y brenin on the same week.

Offline rhancock

• New Paddler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 10:56:54 AM »
hi chris
please would you kindly confirm by friday afternoon if this trip is on.
if so I will set off for relatives in Yeovil and RDV with you at the breakfast stop.
will this be the little chef on the Illminster Bypass as per last year?
cheers
Richard H

Offline ChrisG

• Advanced
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 11:10:26 AM »
Hi Nigel, do you have any local update on likely river levels for the weekend?

Offline NigelSharpe

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 02:15:58 PM »
I have just got back from a talk from Simon Westgarth (Gene 17) at AS Watersports, Exeter, this evening which was packed with local ww paddlers.

The general view is that there is very little water around on Dartmoor this weekend. This is obvious when you look at rainchasers website http://rainchasers.com/region/dartmoor  .

The only river in the area which has any potential seems to be the Exe, which tends to hold it's water a little longer, and as most of the rain in the south west last weekend seemed to fall in east Devon and Exmoor, it rose to a level higher than all of the other rivers. However, most of the water seems to have disappeared from that too. You may remember that we did from Bolham to Tiverton the last time that I paddled with you. http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/rivers/england/south-west/river-exe-bolham-weir-to-bickleigh . It is a good beginner river. I have a few friends who are thinking of paddling it onSaturday as it is the only river with water, and Exeter Canoe Club have a beginner trip on Sunday, and I suspect that they will paddle this stretch. It is likely to be quite busy!

The advantage of this from Salisbury is that it is under a couple of hours travel of about 90 miles.

If you decide to come down, I would enjoy joining you. If you decide to postpone, I will probably join the others paddling this section if they go ahead.

Let me know what you decide.

Offline ChrisG

• Advanced
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 02:31:22 PM »
Hi All, not looking great for this weekend again!!! Very little water on Dartmoor, so that is out - considering the Exe but even that is apparently getting short on water! May end up postponing, just waiting to see what Pete and Rich think.

Keep an eye on here and Facebook!!

Offline ChrisG

• Advanced
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 12:41:29 AM »
Hi All, given the water levels, the only potential option being a low and potentially busy Exe I think we are going postpone this trip! Thwarted again by low water levels!!

anything