Salisbury Canoe Club would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Cardiff White Water Course  (Read 3960 times)

Offline ChrisG

• Advanced
    • View Profile
Cardiff White Water Course
« on: December 09, 2015, 12:29:43 PM »
Any one interested in going to Cardiff International White Water Course this Sunday?

I'm going with Sam to demo some boats, aiming to get there for ~10.00 - 10.30 am. Sorry for short notice they have only confirmed today that the boats are available.

Slight complication is that we are then going home via Bristol on the way back for a concert that Emily is playing in so anyone else going will need to sort out their own transport.

Pump times on Sunday:

10:30 - 12:15 - 4 cumecs
12:15 - 13:15 - 6 cumecs
13:30 - 15:00 - 8 cumecs

Offline richard

• Advanced
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cardiff White Water Course
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 05:53:54 AM »
I would like to go if anyone wants to share travel costs bearing in mind my van will be expensive on the bridge.

Offline Mark C

• Advanced
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 01:12:43 PM »
I would love to go but have family staying... >:(
What are you demo'ing?

Offline ChrisG

• Advanced
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 02:46:34 PM »
I would love to go but have family staying... >:(
What are you demo'ing?

I'm trying the Zet Director and Sam has a Raptor and we've borrowed Daz's medium mamba.

Offline Kevin Coombes

• Kevin Coombes
  • Administrator
  • Expert
  • If its raining, im boating!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 10:57:56 PM »
Team ZET  :D
"If found, please return me to a river"

Offline Mark

• Advanced
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 04:39:50 AM »
Unfortunately its Scout Post weekend and I'm booked in for indoor football at 5pm!

Offline ChrisG

• Advanced
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 11:29:14 AM »
Team ZET  :D

Probably only a team of 2 though, Sam very keen on the Raptor, I didn't get on with the Director!

Offline NigelSharpe

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 12:15:01 PM »
Why didn't you like the Director? I keep looking at them.

Offline ChrisG

• Advanced
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 12:46:20 PM »
Why didn't you like the Director? I keep looking at them.

Uncomfortable (but that could possibly be solved with some serious outfitting) but mainly felt too big, slow to turn and not as easy to surf/play in as my Burn. Possibly slightly better once the flow went up to 8 cumecs but still not convinced.

Cardiff was a great place to try boats - £10 and you could chop and change boats from the demo fleet all day (and you get the £10 back if you buy a boat within 30 days). They had a good selection of boats from Pyranha, Jackson and Zet there.

Offline richard

• Advanced
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 02:32:39 PM »
Would have liked to join you but not worth it on my own. Did you try anything else or has it just convinced you to stay team BURN.

Offline Kevin Coombes

• Kevin Coombes
  • Administrator
  • Expert
  • If its raining, im boating!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 10:52:45 PM »
Chris, definitely the wrong place to try a ZET. It wont surf or turn as quick as a burn, they're built for straight line speed and like to play on bigger volume rivers. You may find for those reasons its not the right boat for what like to do in a kayak?

My Raptor was very un-comfortable as well. It took me a long time to get the outfitting right but once I did it was fine.
"If found, please return me to a river"

Offline ChrisG

• Advanced
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 12:02:26 AM »
Chris, definitely the wrong place to try a ZET. It wont surf or turn as quick as a burn, they're built for straight line speed and like to play on bigger volume rivers. You may find for those reasons its not the right boat for what like to do in a kayak?

My Raptor was very un-comfortable as well. It took me a long time to get the outfitting right but once I did it was fine.

Agree, not sure we do enough on big volume rivers to make it work (it was definitely better at 8 cumecs), would say though that the Director is a very different boat to the Raptor in hull design which I think also impacted too. Sam did well in the Raptor at Cardiff - enjoyed it and had a good play in lots of the drops!

Mamba 8.6 is the preferred option at the moment so probably not staying on Team Burn!!!!!!

Quite liked the Jackson 4 fun, but not sure I'd get away with buying two boats!!!!!!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:06:39 AM by ChrisG »

anything