Salisbury Canoe Club would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Slalom Kayak  (Read 24946 times)

Offline Kevin Coombes

• Kevin Coombes
  • Administrator
  • Expert
  • If its raining, im boating!
    • View Profile
Re: Slalom Kayak
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
  I wanted a cheap slalom boat for the fitness training on a Tuesday (instead of lugging my G3 up and down the river)

Tip the water out of your big pyranha touring boat and use that?  :P
"If found, please return me to a river"

Offline richard

• Advanced
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 04:17:29 PM »
Mark, If you want to get fit you need to paddle something harder not easier.

Offline NigelSharpe

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
Mark or maybe Dave

Have a look at bumblebee auctions under sports equipment, there is a surf shoe on there. I'm bidding on the dagger nomad. There is also paddles etc!!

Mark C - How did you get on with your bids on the Nomad?

I am not sure whether it helps, but I am about 25 minutes away from Launceston, and so could pick up a boat and hold it for collection from Okehampton (or perhaps bring it up to the Tryweryn weekend) or drop off in Wiltshire if I an in the area.

Offline NigelSharpe

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 09:35:25 AM »
Mark,

I have the Exeter Canoe Club Mi Slalom kayak at my house, and have given it a bit of a clean.

I physically fit in the boat although would not know how it would sit in the water with me in it. It looks as though it would be OK though. It is not the most comfortable boat but it is OK.

It is made of plastic, does not have any footrests, and is lighter than a creek boat. The cockpit is smaller than a creek boat and so you would need a new spraydeck.

The polystyrene bouyancy has been fixed into position with stainless steel screws through the deck - not original. I filled the boat with water and it does not leak.

There are a number of slight scratches on the bottom but nothing serious. The boat is a bleached cream colour with a very weathered look.

The asking price is £75 - set by Exeter CC, so i don't feel as though I can negotiate.

Here are a few photos

Offline Kevin Coombes

• Kevin Coombes
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 11:27:50 AM »
That deserves a spot in a boat grave yard! I think mark was after a slalom boat that slightly resembles a modern design?

Offline Mark C

• Advanced
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 01:56:45 PM »
Nigel I didn't win the auction. But thanks for the offer.

Offline Dave

• Advanced
  • TEAM (leaky) YELLOW RULE !!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »
Nigel I didn't win the auction. But thanks for the offer.
Mark,I don't think the Nomad would have suited you ability or paddling style,I sold mine because the lack of rails was bloody hard work.
look for a Medium Mamba or Medium Burn
The Burn would probably suit you better but I love the Mamba
 :-\ Can't believe I just recommended a Pyramha   :-\
PADDLE FASTER I CAN HEAR BANJO MUSIC!!!

Offline Kevin Coombes

• Kevin Coombes
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 10:55:41 AM »
Hey dave, there's a new kid on the block you need to get your hands on. I wonder if this will be the next 'best playboat on the market today' http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/whitewater/rockstar/

And check out the awsome carbon one!
http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/whitewater/rockstar/rockstar-carbon/

Offline NigelSharpe

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 02:02:12 PM »
That deserves a spot in a boat grave yard!

I think that it has found one - my garden is a bit like a boat grave yard :D

PS I am currently visiting my parents in Yorkshire, and I went for a pleasant walk along the banks of the River Tees between High Force and Low Force - there was little water there today and I spent my time wondering what it would be like to paddle when it was running at Grade 3/4 with a nice drop or two - it is a river that I must paddle at sometime.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:09:04 PM by NigelSharpe »

Offline Mark

• Advanced
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 04:19:32 AM »
Thanks Nigel.  I don't think that this is quite the boat that I am looking for  :(  The modifications with holes drilled through the deck are a bit off putting and it is a lot bigger than I anticipated.  Cheers Mark

Offline Mark C

• Advanced
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 08:21:21 AM »
Dave

I managed to make contact with someone who will sell me a brand new Burn for £700 so frantically saving.... ;D

Offline Kevin Coombes

• Kevin Coombes
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 09:17:59 AM »
Dave

I managed to make contact with someone who will sell me a brand new Burn for £700 so frantically saving.... ;D

2011 model? Good price. Bournemouth canoes had some last year models going cheap.

Offline NigelSharpe

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 12:18:34 AM »
Thanks Nigel.  I don't think that this is quite the boat that I am looking for  :(  The modifications with holes drilled through the deck are a bit off putting and it is a lot bigger than I anticipated.  Cheers Mark
It turns out that the screws are not a modification - there was one the same on ebay the other day in Plymouth which sold for £62.

I have put this boat on ebay so we will see if it sells. Exeter CC are currently insisting on a reserve of £50 - personally, I don't think it is worth it.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190522565801&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I am also having a mini - clearout so and putting my Dagger Atlantis and Dagger Crossfire on ebay too.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190521865349&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190521873622&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Offline Gordon

• Advanced
  • BAOR Championships 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 12:47:40 AM »
Nigel
Have you been talking to Dave, I detect a modest profit on the Atlantis. Also as my dazzling photography is probably instrumental in selling your tub, was there any mention of commision?
cheers Gordon

Offline NigelSharpe

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »
Nigel
Have you been talking to Dave, I detect a modest profit on the Atlantis. Also as my dazzling photography is probably instrumental in selling your tub, was there any mention of commision?
cheers Gordon

Sea kayak sold for £390 which is about £80 more than I paid for it in 2008 ;D
The Crossfire surprised me  - sale price £154 - and I thought that I had paid over the odds when I paid £80 ;D ;D

I note that the Crossfire sold for nearly twice the price that I paid for it when I used my photos, and the Atlantis percentage increase was much lower when I used Gordon's photos. Therefore, no commission ;)