Salisbury Canoe Club would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Sun Kosi, Nepal 2017?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline NigelSharpe

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sun Kosi, Nepal 2017?
« on: November 21, 2016, 11:45:32 AM »
I recently returned from 2 weeks in Nepal with 8 days kayaking on the Sun Kosi,

This was by far the best white water paddling experience that I have had. It consisted of 8 days of big volume (but don't let that put you off) white water travelling 169 miles down the "River of Gold" in Nepal.

The trip is organised by a good friend, Liam Kirkham (who organizes coaching with Exeter based AS Watersports shop, and in the winter, operates kayaking trips in Equador, where he is part owner of Small World Adventures), in conjunction with GRG in Nepal. The whole thing was professionally organised with decent hotel rooms in Kathmandu, transport (including the best ever shuttle involving aircraft!) raft support, and the most amazing local guides who not only provided rescues in the most awesome conditions, but provided 3 superb meals per day.

The river is pool drop in nature, so even if you do swim, it will not be for long - rescues by the local guides is almost instant. The rapids are mainly large wave trains (to the point where you will lose sight of other paddlers 10 feet in front of you!) and are very exciting, but do not tend to hold you like stoppers. Very exhilarating! Good bracing is essential, but by the end of a couple of days, it will be second nature! If a rapid looks too much, cadge a lift on the supporting raft!

Once on the river, we camped each night on sandy beaches, with food supplied by GRG - lots of camp fires, playing boules entertaining local kids, and reading books if you want. Temperatures are warm overnight, with approx 30c during the day - you will be glad to be on the water!

I went for a few days either side of the trip, and did the whole tourist thing in Kathmandu - my first time out of the western world, and an amazing experience.

I would highly recommend it! Book on Facebook  here https://www.facebook.com/events/1255299544504831/

anything